TRANSIT STOP TRANSFORMATION PROJECTS: An initiative of CMT and AARP in St. Louis
Citizens for Modern Transit (CMT), the regional transit advocacy organization, and AARP in St. Louis initiated a pilot project through its Transit Placemaking Program in 2019 to transform the bus stop in the City of Maplewood. The effort, known as the “Maplewood Transit Stop Transformation Project,” converted the Maplewood MetroBus Stop – located at the southwest corner of Manchester Rd. and Marshall Ave. – into a fun, artistic space that encourages active play, cultivates community, and increases transit use. The renovated, ADA accessible site boasts vibrant colors and green spaces. New shelters, a glider, and bench were installed, and lighting and better sightlines were incorporated to improve visibility, safety, and security. There is now more waiting space, better access to the adjacent green spaces, a hopscotch game that adds an interactive play element to the design, and an art installation graphically depicting Maplewood landmarks created by a local, award-winning painter and mixed media artist.
Would you like to see this type of transformation at your local MetroBus Stop?
The Transit Placemaking Program is an opportunity for communities, corporations and non-profits to partner with CMT and AARP in St. Louis to transform the MetroBus Stop in their neighborhood. Sites are selected based on local government/municipal support, corporate or non-profit partners, and community engagement opportunities. To learn more, email CMT at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 314.231.7272.
TRANSIT STOP TRANSFORMATION PROJECTS ARE PRODUCTS of PARTNERSHIPS in ACTION:
- Work with stakeholders to build consensus and policies to
move permanent development forward
- Establish a lasting development (shelter, play area, etc.) at
the bus stop to improve safety and security, build ridership
on the system and increase activity around transit
- Reinforce the element of fun/community that comes with
activating space around transit and building community
- Local governments
- Community Groups
- Site Selection
- Project Development
- Community Engagement
- Design and Construction
Download the full brochure here.
Projects in Progress:
Fifth and Missouri Transit Center
- Case Study: 5TH and Missouri Transit Stop Transformation Project
- Blog: Plans Announced for “Transit Stop Transformation Project” at 5th & Missouri Transit Center in East St. Louis
Maplewood MetroBus Stop
- Case Study: Maplewood MetroBus Transit Stop Transformation Project
- Blog Post: Maplewood Transit Stop Transformation Project Complete, Open to the Public
Emerson Park Transit Center
- Case Study: Emerson Park Transit Stop Transformation Project
- Blog Post: The “Transit Stop Transformation Project” at Emerson Park Transit Center Opens to the Public
Belleville Transit Center
- Case Study: Belleville Transit Center Transit Transformation
- Blog Post: The “Transit Stop Transformation Project” at Belleville Transit Center Opens to the Public
North Hanley Transit Center