Guaranteed Ride Home
If I take the MetroLink, the bus or bicycle to work, what if my child becomes ill or what if I have to work late?
Information on the Guaranteed Ride Home
A Guaranteed Ride Home Program is an incentive for commuters to commute to work by transit or bicycling rather than driving alone. It allows employees to take transit/bicycle while providing them a “safety net”, an assurance that they can get home and not be left at work if a situation arises. This program provides immediate transportation in case of an emergency, sickness or unscheduled overtime. In effect, the program serves as a security blanket for those individuals who choose transit or bicycling as their commute option.
This program is unique in that it partners with the employer and the employee
Components of the Program
- Employer must be participating in Guaranteed Ride Home Program. Employers can enroll online.
- There is a limit of 4 cab rides, transportation network company (TNC) rides or Enterprise Rent-A-Car rentals per registered commuter per year.
- Registered commuters contact the cab company or TNC of their choice on the day of an emergency or Enterprise Rent-A-Car, pay for the entire cost of the ride home, and then submit the receipt for reimbursement of 80 percent of the cost of the trip up to $60 to Citizens for Modern Transit.
- To book a car with Enterprise, the participant would call either 1-800-Rent-A-Car or go to www.enterprise.com . Be sure to use your discount code, 01GRH23, and PIN “CMT”.
- Before submitting the receipt for reimbursement, the Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC) at your place of employment must sign off on the receipt validating the reason for the emergency ride home. (Students must show verification of enrollment.)
- Registered commuter must cover a minimum of 20 percent of the cost of the ride home.
- Citizens for Modern Transit will cover 80 percent up to $60 per emergency ride home.
$20 cab ride $80 cab ride
|CMT pays $16||CMT pays $60|
|Registered commuter pays $4||Registered commuter pays $20|
If someone does not wish to use a cab, he/she can utilize Enterprise Rent-a-Car instead and the same rules will follow as above.
An employee is eligible to request a “guaranteed ride home” under the following circumstances:
- Sickness – Includes personal sickness, child, spouse or other immediate family member.
- Unscheduled Overtime – Applies when an employee is required to work beyond normal scheduled work hours without prior notice.
- Personal Emergency – Includes theft, fire or other personal emergency requiring immediate attention.
An employee is not eligible for the “guaranteed ride home” for the following reasons:
- Re-scheduled appointments such as visits to the doctor.
- Acts of nature or work site disruptions which affect the entire work site work force: i.e. winter snowstorm or power failure where employees are released early.
- Working late with at least one day prior notice.
- If there was sufficient time that other transportation could have been arranged.
Travel is restricted to the following designations and uses:
- The trip must begin at the employee’s official worksite and can end at the person’s home or, in special cases, another location.
- Emergency related interim stops would be permitted if necessitated by the type of emergency.
- If using a rental car, the car can be kept overnight and returned the next day.
Instructions for Individual Enrollment
- Register yourself as a transit (MetroLink or bus), bicycle or walk commuter. You can register online HERE!
- Check to make sure your employer is also registered in the program by referring to the registered employer list. If your employer is not registered, speak with your manager about enrolling your company in the free program. They can enroll your company HERE.
- If individuals would like to rent a vehicle with Enterprise Rent-A-Car as their guaranteed ride home, here are the steps. It’s as easy as 1,2,3 . . .
1. Go to www.enterprise.com,
2. Use your discount code – 01GRH23 – and PIN: CMT
Call 1-866-540-6222 and reference discount number 01GRH23.
Go into any Enterprise rental office and reference discount number 01GRH23 for assistance with enrollment.
Instructions for Employer Enrollment
- Identify an Employee Transportation Coordinator (ETC) at your company.
- ENROLL YOUR COMPANY ONLINE or send a letter to Citizens for Modern Transit stating that the company would like to participate in the GRH program and who the contact person will be at the worksite. This letter can be mailed to Citizens for Modern Transit at 911 Washington, Ste. 200, St. Louis, MO 63101 or faxed to 314.231.7380.
THIS PROGRAM IS COMPLIMENTARY FOR ST. LOUIS EMPLOYERS.
Why should a company participate?
With the bottom line always in the forefront for corporations, the Guaranteed Ride Home Program alleviates costs while providing benefits:
- The GRH program is an enhancement to the employee benefits package at NO COST, which increases the employer’s ability to attract and retain a valuable workforce while increasing employee satisfaction on the job.
- By ensuring the availability of a ride home to employees choosing transit or bicycling, the GRH program alleviates tardiness and absenteeism which in turn INCREASES PRODUCTIVITY.
- Employers reduce the number of vehicles traveling to and from the worksite REDUCING EXPENSES for parking facilities expansion and maintenance. Less cars lead to less parking demand which leads to reduced expenses.
- CLEAN AIR is one of the largest benefits. The employer, the employees, the community and the environment benefit from the reduction of the number of cars on the road. By increasing the number of transit commuters from the employer worksite, the employer is taking an active role in bringing clean air to St. Louis.
- By implementing the GRH program, the employer demonstrates corporate concerns and interest in air quality, conservation and employee welfare, improving employee relations and GOOD CORPORATE STANDING in the community.