The Senate passed the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 on March 6, 2021. The bill will return to the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote this week. The bill includes $30.5 billion for the transit industry as well as $1.7 billion for Amtrak.
The $30.5 billion for transit includes:
- $26.09 billion for urbanized area formula grants;
- $317 million for rural area formula grants;
- $50 million for mobility for seniors and persons with disabilities grants;
- $100 million for non-urbanized intercity bus program recipients;
- $25 million for planning grants;
- $2.21 billion in grants for recipients in need of financial assistance to maintain operations over and above the aid that has been provided; and
- $1.68 billion for qualifying projects in the CIG Program, which includes $250 million for Small Starts projects and $1.43 billion for New Starts and Core Capacity projects.