skip to main content

Metro Arts in Transit Debuts First of Ten New MetroLink Art Installations

Today marks the unveiling of the first of ten new art projects that are set to debut at ten different MetroLink stations over the next several years.  Artist Mary Lucking was joined this morning by Metro CEO John Nations, Wellston Mayor Linda Whitfield, Wellston Councilwoman Gracie White, and others at the Wellston MetroLink Station to introduce her bronze sculpture titled “Everyone Appreciates a Punctual Train.”  Lucking spent time at the Wellston station observing the surroundings and the animals before beginning her sculpture.  Lucking hopes that the final product – hand-sculpted bronze birds and squirrels intently watching a clock – will “create public spaces where people can slow down, experience the outside world, and have the opportunity to meet other people in their communities.”

These upgrades come as part of Metro’s Arts in Transit program and are being funded in large part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA) stimulus program.  Art works are currently planned for the Stadium, Union Station, UMSL South, Central West End,  Arch-Laclede’s Landing, and Lambert-St. Louis International Airport MetroLink Stations and will be entirely funded by the ARRA.  In addition, art installations at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere MetroLink Station, Riverview Hall MetroBus Transit Center, and the future Downtown Transit Center, will be funded with Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grants covering 80 percent of costs and local funds picking up the remaining 20 percent.

Translate »