After three years of struggling with a driver workforce shortage, the Madison County Transit (MCT) Board of Trustees approved service reductions which will take effect on December 3, 2023. Despite ongoing efforts to recruit and retain drivers, a double digit workforce shortfall remains, necessitating mandatory overtime and posing a risk of driver fatigue and compromised service reliability. An initial service reduction plan was presented at eight public meetings throughout Madison County over the course of the last month. Following a review of the public comments received, MCT modified the original proposal accordingly. The following changes
will take effect on December 3, 2023:
- #7 Alton-Edwardsville: Reduce frequency from 30 to 60-minute service. Serve Alton Regional
Multimodal Transportation Center (ARMTC) but not Alton Square Mall on weekdays to allow for
better transfer opportunities to the #8 and #10. Remove the SIUE trip from the schedule.
- #8 Central Shuttle: Improve service to St. Anthony’s Hospital by pulling into the reconstructed
parking lot. Provide service between Challenge Unlimited and Twin River Estates on Pierce
Lane, formerly provided by the #10.
- #10 State & Elm Shuttle: Reduce frequency from 30 to 60-minute service. Reduce morning
service span and end service at 9:00 PM. Preserve several trips to ARMTC on weekdays. Shift
trips between Challenge Unlimited and Twin River Estates on Pierce Lane to the #8.
- #18 Collinsville Regional: Preserve 30 minutes service from 5:28 AM to 9:51 AM and reduce
frequency to every 60 minutes for the remainder of the day.
- 24X Riverbend-Gateway Commerce Center Express: Discontinue route due to lack of
- #25X Collinsville-Gateway Commerce Center Express: Discontinue route due to lack of
More information about the service reductions can be found here: https://www.mct.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Winter_2023_Service_Change_Approved.pdf
A detailed listing of Madison County Transit bus routes is available via the Madison County Transit website here: https://www.mct.org/bus-schedules/