CMT in partnership with Metro, Great Rivers Greenway and Beyond Housing provided a glimpse into the possibilities for MetroLink park-ride lots in the region with the CMT Metro Market on June 5 at the Rock Road MetroLink station. Dining? Shopping? Entertainment? A Sea of Cars? The CMT Metro Market provided area residents and visitors the opportunity to visualize what could be around transit beyond a sea of parking at the Rock Road MetroLink Station.
The CMT Metro Market served as a ‘pop-up’ market showcasing what could be in terms of shopping, dining and entertainment at this, and other MetroLink stations, if the community invested in development around the St. Louis transit system.
“CMT has been talking about the benefits of building and living near transit for several years. We thought the best next step would be to put our words into action and give the St. Louis community the opportunity to see some of this type of investment in action. When you board or deboard the train, what would you like to see, buy, or enjoy within walking distance of your transit ride? On June 5 we demonstrated the possibilities with local produce, retail, art and interaction for children and so much more,” said Kimberly Cella, CMT Executive Director.
“MetroLink has the opportunity in St. Louis to serve as a catalyst/tool to revitalize some of our neighborhoods experiencing disinvestment. The region invested millions in the award-winning transit system. Now is the time to use that system as an impetus to build walkable, sustainable, mixed-use neighborhoods for the region,” said Cella.
The first CMT Metro Market was held in 2014 at the Shrewsbury MetroLink Station.
The June 5 Rock Road Metro Market featured local food, live music, and much more including:
- Press Play Live Band
- a welcome from Pagedale Mayor Mary Louise Carter
- fresh produce from the Veggie Patch Urban Farm
- retail and art on-site for children with the Pink House
- MOBot Master Gardener Education group providing useful gardening information
- Children’s activities including balloon art, face painters, bus photo cutout and more
- Bike Helmet Fittings for children through Cardinal Glennon
- HOSCO Foods (selling microgreens)
- Healthy-cooking demo
- Natural Bridge Library promoting Summer Reading Program with free book giveaways
- Kona Ice Truck with colorful shaved ice
- Metro St. Louis giving out useful transit info
- Great Rivers Greenway
- Beyond Housing
- Citizens for Modern Transit and so much more.
The event provided the opportunity for area residents to hear from community partners including Beyond Housing with their First Friday’s series held monthly from May through September, Great Rivers Greenway on the extension of the St. Vincent Greeway, and Metro on their new downloadable transit app for routing trips.
The CMT Metro Market is a part of CMT’s 30th Anniversary celebration. Check out more events here.