Over the past two weeks, ridership across most MetroBus routes and MetroLink has fallen due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Transit ridership remains stronger on some of Metro’s busiest bus routes, while others that serve businesses and schools that have temporarily closed carried fewer passengers in past weeks. As a result, Metro is shifting its available personnel and transit vehicles in response to this fluid situation.
Riders can use the online Trip Planner from their home computer or smartphone. Smartphone users can download Transit, Metro Transit’s official trip-planning app (available on the App Store and Google Play) to plan your trip from their mobile device.
New Service Adjustments:
Beginning Monday, March 30, Metro Transit will temporarily suspend service on four Missouri MetroBus routes: #1 Gold | #5 Green | #17 Mackenzie |#59 Oakland.
Each of these routes primarily serve businesses that have temporarily closed and have seen significantly low ridership numbers during the COVID-19 crisis.
Several other low-ridership MetroBus routes will remain in service but will be supported by Metro Call-A-Ride vans. These routes include the #56 Kirkwood-Webster | #71 Patterson-Redman | #75 Christian Hospital | #174X Halls Ferry Express.
Service Adjustments Effective March 23
The new service adjustments are in addition to changes that were made on March 23, which remain in effect. Those changes include:
- MetroLink is operating its normal weekend schedule seven days a week until further notice.
- Several MetroBus routes continue to operate on a Saturday schedule, with the exception being routes that currently do not operate on Saturdays and Express routes in Missouri (see below).
- Several MetroBus routes that currently do not operate on Saturdays are operating on their normal weekday schedule. These routes include the #101 Fenton Connector (MO); #14 Memorial Hospital-Westfield Plaza (IL); #15 Belleville-O’Fallon (IL); #17 Carlyle Plaza-17th Street (IL); #21 Scott AFB-Main Base Shuttle (IL); #21X Scott AFB-East Base Shuttle (IL). Service on select Express routes in Illinois – #2X Waterloo-Columbia and #17X Lebanon-Mascoutah – will run on weekday schedules until further notice.
- Service on Express MetroBus routes in Missouri remains temporarily suspended. Suspended routes include the #57X Clayton Road, #58X Twin Oaks Express, #73X I-55 Express, #79X North County Express and #410 Eureka Express.
- Metro Call-A-Ride is operating the same span of service and the same geographic area that it normally operates.
Additional information about these service adjustments is available on metrostlouis.org. Customers who need assistance are encouraged to contact Metro Transit Information for schedule and trip-planning support. Metro Transit Information is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. by text at 314-207-9786 and by phone at 314-231-2345.
Fare Enforcement Temporarily Waived on MetroBus and Metro Call-A-Ride
To minimize personal interactions and exposure to COVID-19, Metro Transit continues to temporarily waive enforcement of cash fares on MetroBus and Metro Call-A-Ride. Customers using all other fare types will also refrain from using the farebox. This policy became effective March 21 and will continue through April 14. All MetroBus customers will be required to board and exit buses using the rear doors, except in cases where customers require an accessible entrance at the front of the bus.
Fare enforcement continues on MetroLink, and all MetroLink passengers need to have a valid fare in their possession when riding the light rail system.
In addition, to ensure safe social distancing between Metro Transit operators and riders, new orange lines have been installed on MetroLink train floors near the operator cab and yellow lines on the floor of MetroBus vehicles near the operator cab. Riders are not allowed to stand within those zones.