The East-West Gateway Council of Governments consultant will unveil plans for possible development in communities around three light rail stations in December. Three meetings, scheduled from December 11-13, 2012, 4-7 p.m., with two identical presentations at 4:30 and 6:30, will highlight Station Area Plans focusing on East St. Louis, Fairview Heights, and North Hanley MetroLink Station areas.
As part of a regional planning effort to create more places to live, work, shop, and play near MetroLink, The East-West Gateway Council of Governments (EWG) and its partners have selected five stations to complete more detailed station area plans. This Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) study is part of a Regional Communities Planning Grant awarded to the St. Louis region by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The study team will review background information about the project and conduct a “keypad polling” session during the presentation in which participants will have the chance to answer a series of questions about potential new development at the MetroLink station area. The session will also include a map exercise in which groups of participants will review options for new development near the station.
Meeting will include a discussion by participants of:
- What is meant by “transit oriented development” and what it could mean in the St Louis region
- The potential to create new development for areas around the Emerson Park/ Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Fairview Heights and North Hanley stations (Each on specific dates)
- Options for different kinds of uses for the land and developments around the stations (including retail, residential, office, and other uses)
- Examples of projects and developments from similar communities that surround a light rail line
The meeting date and locations are as follows (be advised the meeting locations correspond to the station which will be focused on at that particular meeting):
- Tuesday, December 11, 2012, Emerson Park and Jackie Joyner-Kersee Stations
Location: Jackie Joyner-Kersee Center, 101 Jackie Joyner-Kersee Circle, East St Louis, IL 62204
- Wednesday, December 12, 2012, Fairview Heights Station
Location: Fairview Heights Public Library, Lower Level Meeting Room, 10017 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights, IL 62208
- Thursday, December 13, 2012, North Hanley Station
Location: University of Missouri – St. Louis (UMSL), JC Penney Center, 1University Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63121
Refreshments will be served! For more information about this meeting or the overall St Louis Regional TOD Study, please visit www.stlouistod.com
EWG is working collaboratively with local municipalities, Metro, CMT, other partner agencies and the private sector within the study area, to develop a master plan that will be used as the framework to encourage economic development around the existing light rail stations. TOD represents the creation of compact, walkable communities centered around a high-quality rail system, creating a sense of place. Well-executed TOD will allow our region to improve mobility, create sustainable and livable communities and improve transportation options for the future.