There has been buzz about bringing smartcards to the St. Louis’s Metro system, and this week Metro rolls out new fareboxes that would make smartcards a possibility for the future. The new fareboxes are the first step in that direction.
Metro explains that “the new fareboxes will replace old fare equipment that is becoming expensive and difficult to repair. They will provide more detailed passenger count information which will allow Metro to plan routes that better meet customer needs. The new fareboxes will assure collection of correct fares and help reduce fare evasion. The equipment has advanced software that better identifies counterfeit bills and foreign coins. The new system will also allow customers to use faster and smarter payment methods in the future with smart cards.”
The new fareboxes will still require exact change. Customers currently holding valid passes can continue to use them. The fareboxes will still accept $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills, nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar coins.”
They go on to explain:
“Changes customers will notice include:
• One person will be able to pay for everyone in their group without paying for each person at a time
• A new display screen shows how much money has been inserted and any balance due
• Payment confirmation with an on-screen “Thank You” and an audible “DING!”
• The insertion of bills and coins one at a time
• 50-cent coins and $2 bills will not be accepted by the new equipment, and pennies will no longer be accepted beginning in October 2013”
The fareboxes will be installed on all MetroBus’ in the region, and the rollout begins this week. Metro expects that there will be a time of adjustment as customers get used to the new system and they encourage transit riders to take earlier buses to compensate for any delays if their schedules are tight.
If you have any questions or comments about the new fareboxes, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Metro Customer Service at (314) 982-1406 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
To read more, visit: http://www.metrostlouis.org/NewsProjects/NewsDetails.aspx?ID=370